An OPG which stands for ORTHOPANTOGRAM, gives a panoramic view of the mandible and teeth.
Reasons for OPG requests
- Caries - appear as different shaped areas of radiolucency in the crowns or necks of teeth
- Peridontioiditis - when inflammation extends into the underlying alveolar bone and there is a loss of attachment
Extraction of teeth (eg. wisdom teeth)
- OPG shows angulations, shape of roots, size and shape of crown, effect on other teeth
- Eg. Developmental, to show size, number, shape and position
OPGs are used by Dentists to provide information on
- Impacted wisdom teeth
- Periodontal bone loss
- Finding the source of dental pain
- Assessment for the placement of dental implants
- Orthodontic assessment
You may be asked to remove jewellery, eyeglasses, and any metal objects that may obscure the images, You will be asked to stand with your face resting on a small shelf and to bite gently on a sterile mouth piece to steady your head. It is important to stay very still while the x-ray is taken. You will not feel any discomfort during the procedure.